Friday, December 23, 2005

What Kind of Clouds?

Earlier this week a dear friend of mine and I ate lunch together which is our weekly practice. This week she seemed especially down for some reason.

During our conversation a painful memory came to mind when she was a tiny little girl, perhaps 3 or 4. While staring at the clouds in wonder she asked her grandmother, "If you were God, Grandma, what kind of clouds would you make?"

Her grandmother's response was, "Honey! Don't ever make yourself equal with God!" Her grandmother's words still bruised when they came to mind and I could see the hurt and shame she still carried.

It just broke my heart, but then from a gentle sweet place a question came to my mind. I looked into my friend's eyes and bent forward just slightly. I asked with a big smile on my face, "If you were God, what kind of clouds would you make?" The look in her eyes was of a delighted beloved child. With a tiny shy expression, she looked at me and smiled through teary eyes. She knew that day that God delighted in her question.

I think He is still pausing to hear all her ideas.

7 comments:

Bruce Prescott said...

I think He is still pausing to hear all her ideas.

I think so too.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Good for you! Wonderful post. Keep 'em coming.

GingerBarryBrandt said...

Hi! I found you through the blog of my friend, New Anglican. I went to read his words today, found he STILL hadn't updated :), and so visited each of his recommended blogs instead.

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, and I like the slant of your mind when you look at the world! :) We each have our own little bent, and yours seems lovely. Honest and open to God. Keep up the good writing, and thanks for having me!

--ging

don't eat alone said...

Patty Griffin writes in one of her songs, "If you break down, I'll drive out and find you." You did that for your friend. Nice work.

Peace,
Milton

Small Glimpses said...

Ging...Thanks for stopping by and also thanks very much for the encouraging words. Like New Anglican I don't post as often as I wish. I sure enjoy Anglican's words and the collects he posts.

Milton...Thank you for your kind words. It was a neat moment to experience with my friend. (P.S. Patty is one of my favorite singer/songwriter, too.)

Rainbow dreams said...

What a wonderful post - everyone needs a friend who can do that for them now and again, have a beautiful day

Misty Raley said...

This is a wonderful post. I know it's old but it just made me tear up. You are amazing Aunt Lisa!!