With the gracious and expert care of our beloved Vet we've been given a reprieve and she's still with us. Saline injections every other day, but she's still here. She's skinny and still a creep at times (one of my nicknames for her). My husband, B, reminds me that her feistiness is a good thing and likely means she's feeling better. This is her normal.
|A few days after she came home from the clinic.|
A friend recently wrote something on her Facebook page that I've decided to take to heart. Several years ago her favorite vet spoke some advice when she was dealing with an aging pet. The advice was to create "My Aging Pet's Top Five Favorites". When these favorite things become impossible or no longer enjoyed, then it's probably time to make some decisions. So she and her beloved dog sat down together and made their list.
Tonight Molly and I made her list.
I'll watch for when she's struggling. I know it's not today, but today I need this list to help me cherish the time we still have and to minimize the pre-grief that steals today. I know we're in the bonus round and we still have good days ahead for us. Hopefully weeks and maybe a month or maybe months.
So, Molly, here are your favorites and I'm going to promise to enjoy them with you.
- Jumping on the kitchen table to eat TREATS with the dogs
- Sleeping right next to my computer
- Batting at Grace on the opposite side of the baby gate
- Stealing Calvin's better tasting food*
- Shredding paper while I'm trying to pay bills
* Item four is what inspired this post. She hates her new KD food. HATES, HATES, HATES! We tried a new food yesterday and she liked it for about one and a half meals. BUT she LOVES Calvin's food which is formulated exactly opposite of what she needs now. We are hopefully going to try a new food tomorrow. Hoping she'll like that one. Not too many other options left. If the choice is between starving her or Calvin's food which exacerbates her issues, I know what choice I'll make but gosh it's a shitty choice.